Saturday, January 17, 2009

26wks, 2days

First of all, I really appreciate all the really great ideas for gifts for my DH and for my shower hostesses. I think they all gave me a good place to start. So, thank you for taking the time to share your ideas with me.

I bought BFF/S a candle I know she loves last night at the World Market. So, that can be my default hostess gift for her, or if I find something better, her birthday is the following week.

***

DH was off work early last night, so we had a 'date night' which consisted of a trip to Target, World Market, getting take out pizza and watching a movie. We ran into two other couple friends who had the same idea. I guess we're grown ups now!

I'm desperate to be productive on baby things, even though I'm waiting for most things until AFTER my showers. So, I bought myself some nipple pads last night. Sexy, huh? Well, it was something small, but at least one thing off of my list.

The other thing I bought is totally and completely going to reveal to you all just how vain I truly am. I bought a mirror that stands on its own, just a cheap little mirror, for the hospital, so if I can't stand in the bathroom to put on some makeup, I can at least sit this mirror on the hospital bed table thing and make myself presentable. Vain. Vain. Vain. But it beats deleting every picture of me from the hospital shots because I look like ass, doesn't it?

***
Another one of my hobbies right now (in addition to accumulating baby supplies and things for our hospital bag) is determining where in our budget we can and cannot cut back. It started when we were financing our IVF cycles - I can cut back on Starbucks and eating out; get books at the library instead of buying them, etc. Since we got pregnant, I have been trying out different generic brands of things like toilet paper, facial tissues, etc. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but is enjoying poking fun at this 'research' as I call it. And we've learned so much already. For example, we absolutely cannot use generic toilet paper. The biggest compromise I have been able to bear so far is the new Charmin basic or whatever its called. I can get 'cheaper' shampoo, but not generic, and I cannot compromise on my conditioner (I <3>
This week, at lunch one day, I decided to return to Wal-Mart. Years ago, when we were first starting out, I bought all my groceries there. But the people who shop at the Wal-Mart by our house are NOT my peers. The stress of the parking lot, the long lines at the check out, the rude people and their rowdy children was just too much. So, I found value in the open aisles at Dillons and Target. And I paid for it. But it was worth it to me after a long day at work, not to have to deal with the hell that is Wal-Mart.
But I've gone twice this week, and both experiences were not too bad. There were definitely more people there today, than there were Wednesday at lunch. But I don't move too fast right now anyway, so I just took my time and meandered up and down every aisle with my list.
And I've started a spreadsheet of how much things cost at Wal-Mart, so when I inevitably have to run to one of the other stores in a hurry, I can compare. It's anal. It's perhaps a little obsessive. But I want to quantify how much I'm saving by going to Wal-Mart. I think its a chore. But its a price I'm considering paying of my own personal comfort to save us some major dough - to be spent on daycare, diapers, etc.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Oh the obsession with money. That is a new one for me too. My salary is cut to 66% on disability and since I am the major income it is a huge hit for us.

Only grocery stores are allowed to sell fresh food in NJ. The Wal Mart and Target sell somethings but it is limited. DH won't let me shop at Wal Mart either, he saw that movie the High Price of Low Cost. I like the idea of the spreadsheet though I can compare sales better that way...

LuckyOnce said...

I know what you mean about Walmart. I felt/feel the same way, but it's worth it to make a very planned trip once a month or so. They really have good prices on some things. We buy Huggies overnights there (VERY useful after about 10 months) and always buy my husband's OTC allergy meds there. HUGE savings. I've done the same thing with trying out generics, and am in agreement that toilet paper MUST be name brand. (Haven't tried the Charmin basic, but maybe I will...) I also only buy Bounty paper towels. I don't use them often, but when I do, it's for really gross stuff and I don't want them to rip!
Lastly, I really commend you for making a price spreadsheet. It's on my "to-do list" but I haven't gotten there yet. (A lot of the prices are in my head anyway.)

Llama Wanderings said...

I love the idea of the mirror for the hospital! I wish I had thought of it too. But, if I had thought of it the mirror would not have done me good. I had a bad delivery and ended up being so swollen I looked like I had down syndrome! There is no way make-up could cover that up!

I avoid Wally World like the plague, but I do end up going there about once a month for select items. I just choose to go at 6 in the morning on a weekday or some other bizarro time so there are no people around.

Soralis said...

You tried generic TP! Are you kidding me? That's just crazy!

Good luck with your savings spree!

Sushilover said...

Don't feel so bad about the mirror. I haven't purchased one yet...but plan to ;)

I also don't usually shop at wal-mart (pretty much for the same reasons as you) but their prices on car seats and the fact that I could special order the colors I wanted did me in...plus I tried the site to store option and it was awesome. I already picked up my stroller there and have two car seats on order. Shhhhh don't tell anyone.

Pepper said...

I hear you on the WalMart sentiments, though lately I've been shopping there too. If you time it right - week night instead of weekend - the crowds aren't as bad. And the prices definitely are better, though I've heard that KMart is better for some baby stuff.

Jamie said...

I have done the same thing with my grocery list. It is very gratifying to see EXACTLY how much I save. Good luck!!