Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Extreme Sustainability?

So...this morning the scale went down, but not much. It made me think perhaps I would just post my weight on Fridays here. I'm still recording it in Livestrong, but maybe won't bore you with the .2 pound loss or gain on a daily basis.

Immediately after stepping off the scale, I was tempted to quit this ordeal. I mean, I can't really do it, so why try? I had this negative self talk, that no matter how long I stick with this, I won't be anywhere near my goal weight, so I might as well enjoy some McDonald's today instead of the lunch I packed. Well, first of all, it goes back to that health thing. I definitely want to be here for Will and Jack. Definitely. Want to lower my cholestrol and keep my body strong so I can be the active mommy who isn't hiding under a tarp-like cover up at the pool.

So, then I started doubting my method. All of this in the span of about 10 seconds while taking my thyroid meds and brushing my teeth (that's my routine - pee, strip, weight, pill, teeth....) Maybe so far I haven't done anything extreme enough. Maybe I should eat pre-packaged Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice entrees for every meal? Well, that's ridiculous! That's not sustainable or realistic. I am going to need to be able to eat at least some foods I've prepared myself.

I want to do something drastic enough to notice a change in my appearance, fit of my clothes and/or the scale. Help me feel like all these 'choices' I'm making are having some effect, moving the needle toward the goal. But I also want this to be something that I can continue forever! The problem is what I consider sustainable obviously is not resulting in fast enough...results.

So, one change I started today which we'll see how it goes is this...for my homemade dinner tonight, I had 1.5 servings on my plate the first trip to the kitchen. My logic is this. I always finish what I have on my plate. And I normally have two servings, which includes all of the second one even though I'm starting to feel full. So, tonight, my initial serving was about 1.5x the amount I would normally take and I totally did not need the second helping. Wahoo! It worked. And I totally felt full all night. And it was LOW FAT lasagna. Same ingredients I normally use, but fat free or low fat.

And then I watched the premiere of "Heavy" on A&E which motivated me to get on the treadmill even though it was later than normal and I really just wanted to eat a handfull of chips. And it was the best "treadmill" workout I've had so far this time around. I was "really" sweating. Really. I continue to only allow myself to read the book I'm loving right now "The Help" which motivates me to stay walking longer than I normally would.

Even though I've committed to not reporting it here tomorrow, I'm hoping I will see at least .5 pound loss overnight. I know. I know. I'm not supposed to weigh everyday, but I can't help it. I need the instant gratification, and constant feedback. Its my thing.

Oh, and while watching the Jersey Shore and drooling over some crackers the Situation was eating, I saw previews for the next episode of "I Used to be Fat". I see more motivation in my future!!!!

No comments: