Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oncology Update

First, I am still sick. You're probably sick of hearing about it by now. But going to the doctor helped. I am now on a super-strong antibiotic and have some delicious cough syrup with codeine. Codeine! As in a derivative of cocaine! It's all so dangerous and potent! Well, it is working better than the other OTC meds I was taking, so that's all I care about, really.

Second, the 411 on my visit with Dr. R, the oncologist. First, he was apologetic that I had to be back. I guess this was his first time dealing with my scan results, when I dealt with them weeks ago. I could have used his sympathy then, but somehow it was a burden yesterday.

He said the size is so small (a stubborn remnant) and my initial treatment was so recent (just 6 months ago) that he could see how if we waited, they maybe just hadn't had their full effect and it would be gone in a few months. To me, the test to see if they worked and the treatment are so similar that I thought we should just go for it. He thought that was a good plan too. Last time I had a dose of 125, this time he will give me 75. I still have to go off my thyroid replacement. I still have to suffer through two weeks on the ridiculous low iodine diet. I still have to go a week without human contact. I may still have cancer when its done.

DH recommended we have a nice dinner before I start the diet. He is so sweet to think of that.

So, I started my 'pretend' thyroid meds today. Two weeks of these before I'm cut off completely. This other thyroid med is supposed to make me less spacey, at least initially. I already feel spacey enough with this head cold.

So, that's that.

For those of you on the edge of your seats, I did not go to Panera. I was good. I ate my quiche. I was good all day. I guess I just needed some event to work toward, and H's wedding is just that. September 25th, I believe. Plenty of time to drop 40 pounds, right?

Oh, and for those of you following my career path, the VP of Ops at my company has called a meeting of the following people tomorrow afternoon - the President of our company, my boss, manager #1 who has offered me a job, and manager #2 who has offered me a job. Whoever decided to drop that guest list in my lap either thought I was stupid or wanted to drive me nuts for the next two days. Obviously, I know the topic at hand. I am nervous about being under such high powered scrutiny, and also excited that they may just decide my fate for me so I don't have to make this colossal decision.

More News Later.

1 comment:

G$ said...

Glad you are getting better, or will soon. Jealous of your codeine :)

I hope this next round is OK for you and gives good results. Husband is good for that little suggestion :)

Hang in there, keep us updated on the work stuff!