Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stay at Home (with sick child) Mom


Will had some loose bowels at school. I guess their rule is 4 in one day means you have to take the next day off. So, I have been home with Will since yesterday around 2pm. He's not really sick. He has a post nasal drip that caused him to have the runs. So, he doesn't have a fever. Isn't throwing up. Behaves happy and normal. And so I've been pretending I'm a stay at home mom.

Here is what my version of a SAHM does.

1) we got groceries and ran other errands that I have been having a hard time getting done. I normally insist on doing these things ALONE. But Will was well behaved and actually a good shopping buddy, which is definitely not the case when I've got BOTH of them with me.

2) we went to story time at the library. Will sat on my lap and seemed to enjoy watching the librarians. I thought he might get crazy with the dancing and singing, but he was actually quiet and preferred to sit in my lap. I hope we can go again.

3) we cleaned the kitchen floor and did a couple loads of laundry. Because the floor was long overdue {isn't 24 hours long overdue at your house, too?!} and the laundry had piled up while we were gone this weekend.

4) we played. Play Doh. Puzzles. Golf.

5) we went to the play place at the mall. Where I chatted with other mothers. Which is something that is impossible when I've got to keep my eye on two moving targets. There was another mother of twins there, and she asked how I got away with just one today. I lied and said Will had a dentist appointment. Lest she shun me for bringing my poopy baby to the mall. {yes, i'm a sinner}

All in all, I would say that Will makes an excellent only child and even though I would never in a million years want to be a SAHM, its nice every once in awhile to have this quality time with him. He has not asked for his brother once. And he really isn't super needy with my attention. He's kind of content to be home with me and doing our thing. When he wakes up from his nap, I think we'll walk to our neighborhood playground, which is the second to last item on my SAHM agenda - right above finger painting.

Now, if I could only spend my vacation days doing what "I" want to do, then this list would look entirely different. But given the fact that as a parent, your own needs come dead friggin last, we may never get to see that list. {tear} Let's just say it involves fattening food, reality television, blankets and books.

No comments: